Roasted Butternut Squash Risotto
Write a review
- 1 Butternut Squash (2 pounds / 1 kg)
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) Olive Oil
- Kosher Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 6 cups (1.5 l) Chicken Stock; preferably homemade
- 6 tablespoons (90 ml) (¾ stick) Unsalted Butter
- ½ cup (125 ml) Shallots; minced (2 large)
- 1 ½ cups (375 ml) Arborio Rice (10 ounces / 280 g))
- ½ cup (125 ml) Dry White Wine
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) Saffron Threads
- 1 cup (250 ml) Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese; freshly grated
- 1 tablespoons (15 ml) Sage; minced
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C)
- Peel the butternut squash, remove the seeds, and cut it into 3/4-inch (2 cm) cubes. You should have about 6 cups (1.5 l).
- Place the squash on a sheet pan and toss it with the olive oil, 1 teaspoon (5 ml) salt, and ½ teaspoon (3 ml) pepper.
- Roast for 25 to 30 minutes, tossing once, until very tender. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat the chicken stock in a small covered saucepan. Leave it on low heat to simmer.
- In a heavy-bottomed pot or Dutch oven, melt the butter and sauté the shallots on medium-low heat for 10 minutes, until the shallots are translucent but not browned.
- Add the rice and stir to coat the grains with butter. Add the wine and cook for 2 minutes. Add 2 full ladles of stock to the rice plus the saffron, 1 teaspoon (5 ml) salt, and ½ teaspoon (3 ml) pepper. Stir, and simmer until the stock is absorbed, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Continue to add the stock, 2 ladles at a time, stirring every few minutes. Each time, cook until the mixture seems a little dry, then add more stock. Continue until the rice is cooked through, but still al dente, about 30 minutes total.
- Off the heat, add the roasted squash cubes and the Parmigiano-Reggiano. Mix well, sprinkle minced sage and serve.
The Passionate Cooks Essentials http://thepassionatecook.ca/