Yellow split pea dal
Write a review
- 1 cup yellow split peas, uncooked
- 2 cups water, chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin, ground
- 2 whole cloves
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large pot, place the peas and water or broth, and bring to a slow simmer. Add the turmeric, cayenne and salt, and cover. Allow to cook for at least 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a large skillet or frying pan, heat the onion, cumin and clove in the butter. Cook for 4 to 6 minutes, until onion is soft. Add the onion and spices to the split peas, and allow to simmer for at least 5 more minutes.
- Add a dash of pepper and more salt, if desired, and serve hot with rice or alone in a soup bowl
The Passionate Cooks Essentials http://thepassionatecook.ca/