Penne alla Vodka
Write a review
- 4 slices of bacon or pancetta sliced into fine strips
- 14 ounce tin of tomatoes
- 1 pound penne
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- pinch chili flakes
- 1/8 cup vodka
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter or olive oil for finishing the sauce
- 2 to 3 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 3/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1. Bring 6 quarts of salted water to a boil in an 8-quart pot over high heat.
- 2. Stir the penne into the boiling water. Bring the water back to a boil, stirring frequently. Cook the pasta stirring occasionally, until done, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- 4. Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Sauté bacon or pancetta until crispy. Drain all but 2 tablespoons of fat.
- 5. Add onion and garlic to bacon mixture and saute until onion is translucent. Increase heat and add tomatoes, red pepper flakes and salt and fry until tomato mixture reduces a little. Pour in the vodka, lower the heat so the sauce is at a lively simmer add cream and slowly simmer until the pasta is ready. Just before incorporating pasta, taste and adjust seasoning. Add butter and cheese to finish the sauce
- 6. Drain pasta and pour into the sauce. Turn up heat and stir pasta in the sauce to fully incorporate. Sprinkle with parsley and serve
The Passionate Cooks Essentials http://thepassionatecook.ca/